Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Poem of the Day

For you

When the first breath rises from the bed's covers, I think of you
There are hours and acres between us, a continent perhaps
The rhapsody of snoring, working, running, keeps you from hearing me.
When I warm the November air with the exhale of finding slippers, I wonder if you too are cold.
When the shower stirs the day's tasks about my mind and I am tired before I'm awake-
When the soap graces my skin and leaves the memory of perfume, I wonder if Lavender is the thing that will lead you to me.
When I hold the mascara and make my eyes grow, I wonder if the lashes will need to wave for you this day-
do you need the help of glasses to see these brush strokes, the crevice of my cheek that smiles permanently?
When I stain the toast, sit with the coffee-
I know you in the same way I know this cup is full, that my tongue has been burned by its contents
although I have brewed nothing yet

When I greet the sun, the train, the feel of paper, the clock-
When I bear motion and sweat so the skirt button doesn't stress
It is for me, but it is also for you.
I learn the world because it is also your world
I race every corner because it is a half promise, a closed hand unfolding for the reveal
A road leading to a forgotten string that follows to your ear

When I fit and turn the key, hook the coat, touch the feet, say the evening prayer-
When the lashes bow, the cat purrs, the mind dreams
There is a home around the road's curve where the pulse outraces itself
A gasp of carbon that carries Lavender from the limbs and shows the world a new axis
I know this in the same way I know my heart thumps in my chest, that the moon fills, even though, at times
both are invisible.


Written by Bre Goldsmith- 4/08

No comments: